5 Things You Should Look for When Choosing a Moving Company
Moving is a complicated ordeal. Sometimes, it lasts a while and it can be tiresome and expensive. That’s exactly why you have to do it properly the first time around. If you have a lot of belongings and furniture, hiring a moving company might be a smart idea. However, sometimes some companies can operate unethically, and you need to be careful when choosing one. Some people get overcharged, scammed, and have their stuff damaged or even lost. In order to avoid that, you should do thorough research before making a permanent decision.
We’d like to help; hence, we put together a list of 5 things that you should look for when choosing a moving company.
1. Check online reviewsEver since the internet era started, luckily, we’re able to share our thoughts and experiences online, spread awareness, and help each other to make better decisions. The same goes when choosing a moving company – check their online reviews! By doing so, you’ll get insight from their previous customers which will in return help you choose a perfect fit.
2. Are they licensed?Unfortunately, some companies can operate illegally nowadays. For that exact reason, you should always check whether they’re licensed and operate within your state's legal frame. Anyone can buy a truck, hire a couple of muscles and call themselves a "professional movers". However, they most likely don’t know how to handle your stuff with care. Real professional movers have been thoroughly trained to avoid damaging doors, walls, and floor and handle your belonging with extreme care.
3. Straightforward RatesGood moving companies usually have different payment options and rates already set up. They adjust them to your needs and give you a transparent estimate. However, they always give a disclaimer that rates may increase due to certain reasons. If they aren’t telling you those reasons, then it might be time to move onto the next company. Many shady companies try to add hidden costs just to bump up the price and earn more. Those companies don’t operate ethically, which is a major red flag. Always ask for a written/email estimate including all the parameters that go into the calculation.
4. Good liability coverageWhen choosing a professional moving company in NYC, keep in mind that all of them are required by New York State liability law to assume the responsibility of your stuff while in their possession. If you come across a company that doesn’t, that means they’re operating illegally so stay clear of them. Some stuff might get broken during the move and unless the company’s been insured, you’ll end up suffering substantial losses. There are various online databases where you’ll be able to check any company’s credentials, so make sure you do that before making a final decision.
5. Professionally trained moversThis one is pretty self-explanatory. A good professional moving company must always invest in their employees’ training. Being professionally trained includes learning how to properly pack and unpack stuff, move the boxes around without damaging the walls, doors, or floors, and simply making the whole moving process as smooth and seamless as possible. They are basically trained to provide you with the best service possible. When choosing a professional moving company, always make sure you’re hiring trained experts instead of rogue ones.