Average Cost of Moving from New York to Florida
Many people are moving to the south for low taxes, affordable living, warm weather and beautiful beaches of Florida.
What is the cost of moving from New York to Florida? As a diverse state with more people and space than New York, there is no certain price. It depends on several factors, such as the size of your house, distance, total volume or weight of your possessions, flat rate or hourly rate, and a moving company you choose.
Your moving budget might be a significant factor in your choice. First of all, you should invest time in planning and organizing your move, because it’s the most important part. You should also look for an interstate company that has experience with crossing borders, legal requirements and knows the area.
You can consider full DIY, partial DIY or hire a full-service moving company to move from New York to Florida.
- 1. Full DIY
- 2. Partial DIY
- 3. Hire full-service movers
1. Full DIY Long-Distance Move from New York to Florida
Full DIY means you Do It Yourself packing, loading, unloading, unpacking and driving your belongings to your new home. You also have to find a truck for rent, consider containers or boxes, wrapping materials, fuel, food, and motel expenses.
- Lower costs than hiring full-service movers
- Maximize savings
- More flexibility
- Planning and organizing takes a lot of time and effort
- Driving a huge truck in unfamiliar highways, cities, and streets is not easy
- Large items are heavy for loading and unloading by yourself
- Risk of getting injured
Cost of Moving by Yourself From New York to Florida
Trucks are usually priced depending on the size per hour, days rented and mile driven. For example, a 20-foot U-Haul truck fits a 2- or 3-bedroom apartment. It costs $39.95 per day plus $1.79 per mile. You will drive around 1200 miles from New York to Florida. If you get it done in 3 days, it will cost you $2,300 not including the gas, motel and food expenses. For more accurate pricing, contact your truck rental company.
For the rest of your expenses, you have to consider your needs and plan ahead. There will be extra moving truck fees, such as fuel cost, truck insurance fee, and toll roads.
2. Partial DIY Long-Distance Move From New York to Florida
This means some of the work you do yourself, but the rest will be done by a moving company. You can mix and match the services depending on your budget:
- Hire movers to pack and load, drive the truck yourself. After arrival, hire movers to unload the truck and unpack everything.
- Pack and unpack yourself and movers do the rest. You can do the packing and unpacking, and let movers do the rest. Movers can disassembly and reassembly the furniture, load your goods into trucks, and drive the truck to your destination.
- Convenient timing
- Less stressful than full DIY
- Improper packing may cause damage to your items
Cost of a Partial DIY Move From New York to Florida.
The average price will start at $3000 for Partial DIY from New York to Florida. The total cost depends on which part of this work you will do yourself and which services you would like to hire. You can request a free in-house estimate from your moving company. This will help you estimate the total price of the services.
- Furniture disassembly and reassembly – $70-100/hour. Professional furniture disassembly and reassembly is an additional service, which will cost you extra.
- Professional packers – $60-80/hour per packer. They will pack your belongings properly, so your items will not be damaged. In case you hire packers, you should do some preparation before they arrive. Declutter your house, throw away the useless things, and make an inventory of your items. Unplug and prepare your household appliances for packing. Establish no pack zone and mark items that shouldn’t be packed. Packers usually bring packing materials, so you don’t have to worry about it.
- Loading and unloading the truck – $80-100/hour. Before the movers arrive, make sure to put labels on all the boxes and make an inventory list. Separate the items that you will move by yourself.
- Rent a truck or hire a freight company. Hiring a freight company is the best option because professionals will deliver them right to your new place. But if you decided to transport your stuff yourself, don’t forget to plan your route and account for additional expenses such as fuel cost, food, and drinks, find motels in advance.
3. Hire a Full-Service Moving Company to Move From New York to Florida
If you are quite busy and don’t have time to organize your move yourself, hire a full-service moving company for a trouble-free and smooth relocation. Full-service movers handle all the tasks regarding your moving:
- Boxes and packing materials;
- Disposal of packing materials;
- Furniture disassembly and reassembly;
- Loading your belongings into a truck;
- Packing and unpacking your items;
- Transportation of your goods;
- Unloading your items from the truck.
- Less stress than partial and full DIY;
- The moving company handles everything;
- No need to lift heavy boxes and furniture;
- Save a lot of time.
- Beware of scammers;
- More expensive than moving by yourself.
Cost of a Full-Service Move From New York to Florida
Full service from New York to Florida will cost you between $3000-6000, depending on a distance, apartment size, total volume of your items, and other factors. Hiring a full-service moving company will cost more than Full or Partial DIY because it includes packing services, loading/unloading by movers, trucks with drivers and all other expenses.
Types of Moving services
- Full-service movers will be helpful if you don’t have the time or capacity to pack up your home. The company handles everything.
- Residential movers are for a smooth household relocation experience from New York to Florida.
- Commercial movers move your business from New York to Florida.
- Last-minute movers can help you with a short notice job transition or a family emergency, or any other situations when you have to move urgently.
- Specialty movers can take your valuable antiques, art collection or your piano with you to sunny Florida.
- You also can use storage services to place your belongings in a secure storage facility.
The Bottom Line
Now you know the average prices for moving services from NY to FL. Choose full-service movers, partial or full DIY, depending on your budget. We suggest you hiring packers if your budget is limited, or full service moving – because your belongings should be packed properly for long-distance transportation, especially the furniture and fragile items. It’s also very important to find a reputable mover and avoid fraudulent companies while moving long distance.
You can get a free estimate from SEKA Moving and answers to all your questions regarding your move from New York to Florida.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?